We wanted this child to have everything. That’s why we worked this hard. That’s why we poisoned ourselves at this factory. Now it turns out the child is poisoned too. I have no words to describe how I feel.
Han Zongyuan of Mengxi Village in China describes his feelings after being told that his 3-year old daughter had “absorbed enough lead to irreversibly diminish her intellectual capacity and harm her nervous system.” His daughter and over 300 other adults and children were poisoned by lead emissions from Zhejiang Haijiu Battery Factory, a maker of lead-acid batteries for motorcycles and electric bikes. Via New York Times
At The Center for Investigative Reporting, we believe journalism that moves citizens to action is an essential pillar of democracy. Since 1977, CIR has relentlessly pursued and uncovered injustices that otherwise would be hidden from the public eye. Today, we are upholding this legacy and looking forward, working at the forefront of journalistic innovation to produce important stories that make a difference and engage our audiences across the aisle, coast to coast, and worldwide. What drives our work isn't profit – it's impact. Learn more at http://cironline.org/